The 1903 Dougherty House Museum
Started as a labor of love for the history of the Appalachian Mountains, the Dougherty House found its home at Mystery Hill in 1989. Originally located on the campus of Appalachian State University, it was formally known as the Dougherty House and was one of the first buildings erected on the State University grounds in 1903. Home of the founder of Appalachian State University, this house was the first one in the area to have electricity. Once arriving at Mystery Hill, the house was restored to its original status and renamed the Appalachian Heritage Museum. Housed within these walls are memories of life in the 19th century. Authentic antiques are seen throughout. From sewing machines and household furnishings, to books, ledgers and personal belongings, the museum reflects the lifestyle of our Appalachian ancestors.